Saturday, February 9, 2013

PFT: Williams reinstated by NFL, hired by Titans

File photo of Buffalo Bills head coach Gregg WilliamsReuters

On his first day back in the NFL after being suspended for orchestrating the Saints? bounty program, new Titans assistant coach Gregg Williams said he accepts the blame for the mess he created in New Orleans, and that he vows to do things the right way going forward.

?I met with the commissioner last week and we had a good talk, and I thank him for my reinstatement back into the league,? Williams said. ?I take full responsibility and apologize for my previous actions and I?ve used this year to reorganize my life and put focus on positive energy and positive ways to inspire, and coach, and motivate in this profession. I?m here to put my focus and my energies into working tirelessly on behalf of the Titans and making as much of a positive impact in every way possible as I can for them. I?m grateful for this opportunity and I?m looking forward with excitement to get started.?

Williams said he spent a lot of his year away doing volunteer work.

?It was a great year to travel, I?ve spoken all over the country. I visited Thailand, worked with some impoverished villages, a lot of orphanages over there. I?m a sucker for kids,? Williams said. ?I spoke to many Pop Warner, junior high, high school and college programs over the country and I did that in a way that was trying not to focus any attention on me, but on the game.?

Williams has grown a goatee and mentioned that he has lost a lot of weight during his year off, and he stressed that he?s excited and energetic about joining head coach Mike Munchak?s staff. Munchak, too, said he was excited, noting that he and Williams first worked together on the Houston Oilers when Munchak was a player and Williams was an assistant, and that they?ve also been assistant coaches together on the Titans? staff.

?I?ve known Gregg for 20 years. In 1990, when Jack Pardee came over to the Oilers, coach Williams came with him as a quality control coach. I watched him work his butt off,? Munchak said of Williams. ?He made players better than they probably should be.?

Munchak, who mentioned that Williams is on a one-year contract, said he contacted NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell when he first got the idea that Williams could make a difference on his coaching staff.

?I called Commissioner Goodell and I talked to him about Gregg?s situation and he was very open about it,? Munchak said.

Williams said he was always confident that if he did the right things, he would get another chance to coach in the NFL. Now he has that chance in Tennessee.

Source: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/07/gregg-williams-i-take-full-responsibility-and-apologize/related/

katt williams greg mcelroy

No comments:

Post a Comment